By Azeera Az.
Before the outbreak, face masks were generally known to be used by medical frontliners. Who would have expected that one day we would be donning face masks wherever we go: while traveling, going to the store, and even at work. In order to fight the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the Malaysian government has made it mandatory to wear a face mask in public and failing to do so will cost you a fine of RM1,000!
Face masks are simple barriers to help prevent the spread of infection and prevent individuals from contracting airborne infectious germs. It reduces the Covid-19 spread by blocking respiratory droplets traveling into the air, produced by infected people that cough, sneeze, and even talk.
But before putting on our face masks, it’s important to take precautions before, when and after wearing it. So here are some guidelines for you when wearing your face mask.
- Always make sure your hands are clean before touching your face masks, always wash your hands with soap and water.
- Make sure there are no tears or holes in your face mask(s).
- For healthy individuals without any Covid-19 symptoms, consider buying fabric face masks than single use face masks as it is more sustainable for long term use. It will not only protect you but it is also good for the environment.
When wearing mask:
- Wear your mask properly. Wear it over the mouth and nose, it should not be dangling around your neck, chin, or forehead.
- If you’re wearing a disposable mask, the coloured side should be facing outwards as it is waterproof while the white side is touching your face because it is more absorbent.
- It is recommended for you to wear your masks in public and around people who don’t live in your household.
- Always practice social distancing.
- When temporarily removing your face masks (especially when eating in restaurants/cafes), make sure not to place it on the table, counter or any surfaces.
- Avoid touching the outer surface of your mask. Always wash your hands if you do.
- Replace your mask if it gets dirty or wet.
- Do not share your mask with others.
After wearing mask:
- Make sure to dispose of your single use face mask properly. It is irresponsible to leave your face mask lying around as it may put someone else in danger and risk of exposing them to infections.
- Properly fold your single use face mask until it becomes a roll, wrap it with tissue and throw it in a proper bin.
- Always wash your hands after removing your mask.
- Wash your fabric face mask everyday, it is recommended to launder with soap and hot water.
- Always store your fabric face mask(s) in a clean container or in a resealable plastic bag.
If you’re considering buying a fabric face mask, Kadaiku has recently launched its fabric face masks which are locally handsewn, and designed to fit comfortably on your face. It’s also available in various designs and patterns. Stocks are also limited, so get them today!
As we’re still at war with Covid-19, we urge everyone to be responsible and careful. Always wash your hand, wear a mask and practice social distance. With everyone’s cooperation and solidarity, we’ll have a chance at beating this invincible enemy.
If you want to know more about Kadaiku’s products, go check out their live streams: